Sp. Giragos of Diyarbekir - Diyarbekir, now called Diyarbakır, has often been referred to as Dikranagerd by Armenians, but that was a more recent 19th century misnomer. Diyarbekir is not the site of Dikranagerd, but instead was known as Amida by Armenians or Amed by Kurds. As late as the mid-19th century the town was still predominantly Christian according to Ottoman census records. In the 18th century, due to overcrowding in the city, the cemeteries were moved outside the walls. Sp. Giragos had up until that time been the cemetery chapel. A new Sp. Giragos was thus built on the land of the old cemetery. After a fire destroyed the sanctuary in 1880, the church was rebuilt and expanded. The roof collapsed in 1989 from the weight of snow and it remained derelict until 2011 when an important restoration took place. The church now serves the growing Armenian community of Diyarbekir once again. The photographs were taken from 2011 through 2014.